Our sincere thanks to Daryl Davis, Ductmakers’ GM and his team, Michael, Danny , Adrian ,An Ho for hosting this SIRF Ductmakers site tour.
Special thanks to Daryl for his passionate and enlightening presentation, sharing his experience , knowledge and valuable thoughts on ‘What makes a great LEAN leader’.
He has kindly shared his presentation that is available to SIRF member companies .
We had a chance to briefly network with others in attendance.
Daryl then presented on ‘What makes a great LEAN leader’ with a chance for Q&A.
We split into 3 smaller groups for a hosted Ductmakers site tour to see their Continuous Improvement processes firsthand and then had a chance to debrief the key take aways.
26 people from 14 companies in attended
..and came with the following AIMS :
- Learn from others implementing C.I.
- Look at how they manage tiered meetings as we are implementing these
- Insights into Best Practices as have heard good things about Ductmakers
- Visual Management examples
- See a more mature site on their C.I. journey
- Business Planning Deployment – Hoshin Kanri
- How to engage the whole workforce
- Get refreshed and re-energised
- 5S implantation and sustain tips
And left with the following Key Take Aways:
KEY TAKE AWAYS
- Importance of effective Strategy Deployment
- People #1 – not C.I. tools
- People – Communication Transparency
- Culture established and lead – People helping people fix problems together
- Calm , organised , engaged workplace
- No scrap on the floor – well managed
- Attitude for mistakes – rewarded for bring up
- Clean – Teamwork – Flow
- All levels supporting 5S on shop floor – every Fri 10:00 am – all in to clean designated equipment and areas
- Above and Below the line
( Above : Ownership, Accountability, Responsibility vs Below : Blame , Excuses, Denial )
- Visual Management excellence
- S.O.P. visual and where need
- Create the environment for improvement – war room. Time , resources
- Quality – do not accept, make or pass on Quality defects – QR QC
- C.I. deployment not to a standard recipe – Go See, Talk , What are problems for the people ? Fix these first
- Great to see how things are manufactured – ducting very labor intensive
Contact your SIRF State manager if you want a copy of Daryl's presentation